We tend to try new things each year and don’t base our holidays on family traditions, so here’s a new recipe we’re trying out this year! You can find the original recipe by Mary Ellen Valverde here. – Brian
Click here to see the original recipe by Mary Ellen Valverde
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp white miso
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp port wine
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds
- Soak cashews (and sun-dried tomatoes if not soft) in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Add all ingredients except sliced almonds to food processor and process until smooth (about 5 minutes).
- Take saran wrap and wrap cheese mixture into a ball.
- Put ball into the refrigerator and refrigerate for about 20-30 minutes until hardened enough to keep its shape.
- Unwrap ball and roll it in almonds.
- Put ball into a sealed container and place back into the refrigerator for a few hours to fully harden.
- Because coconut oil is solid below 76 degrees, it’s best to take the cheese out of the fridge about a half hour to an hour before serving so that the cheese is more spreadable. If you’re in a rush, you can microwave the ball on low for about 20-30 seconds. The cheese will last up to 7 days in the fridge.