Literally the most delicious dessert known to mankind. Too busy eating to write anything else! – Noëlla
Literally the most delicious dessert known to mankind. Too busy eating to write anything else!
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 tbsp butter; cold, unsalted, cubed (plus more for greasing)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tsp Demerara sugar (soft brown)
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Sticky Toffee Topping:
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream
- 6 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- Heat the oven to 350°F and grease a deep 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Put the dates in a bowl and cover with 1 cup boiling water to soften, at least 5 minutes.
- Combine 3 tablespoons butter, baking soda, a pinch of salt, Demerara sugar, 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla extract in a food processor and pulse until just combined. Add the dates and 1/2 cup of the water to the mixture; pulse until nearly smooth (specks of dates should remain visible).
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes, until just firm to the touch. When the pudding has finished baking, remove from the oven and heat the broiler. Put the rack about 4 inches from the heat source.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then slowly add 1 cup cream and 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt, whisking continuously until the mixture bubbles gently and comes together to form a smooth mixture; turn off heat.
- Pour the 2/3 of the topping over the cooked pudding and place the whole thing in the broiler until it bubbles and looks sticky, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and cover with the remaining sauce, add a dollop of whipped cream and serve. Or just faceplant into dish.