This appetizer takes me right back to college! If you find yourself in Manhattan, KS, do yourself a favor and stop at So Long Saloon. Order the Raspberry Black Bean Dip with a Nancy (Old Style Beer + pineapple juice).
- 1 15oz can black beans (loosely rinsed and drained)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 medium red or white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 2.5oz raspberry chipotle sauce (Bronco Bob’s is the best brand – found at World Market)
- 1 8oz container cream cheese (sub for dairy-free cream cheese if vegan or dairy free)
- 1/3 cup shredded jack cheese (sub for dairy-free cheese if vegan or dairy free)
- Chips (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small saucepan, heat the beans along with salt, pepper and cumin. Once warmed through, taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a 10- or 12-inch cast iron skillet (or oven-safe skillet) over medium heat. Add onions and a healthy pinch of salt and stir. Cook until soft and fragrant stirring frequently – about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Then add to a mixing bowl with the cream cheese and stir.
- Removed from the stove top, add the cream cheese-onion mixture back to the cast iron skillet. Place it in the center and make a well (or just spread it in an even layer on the bottom for more even distribution).
- Add the black beans on top around the outside of the cream cheese, and pour the raspberry chipotle sauce in the center.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top (optional but recommended) and bake for 12-15 minutes or until warmed through and bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with a bit of additional cheese. Serve immediately.
Leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for several days. Just reheat in the microwave or the oven.