Holiday cookies are one of my favorite things to make and eat. I’ve always loved Italian cookies and lemon so this recipe is the perfect blend of both.
For the cookies:
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon (I prefer meyer lemons)
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until smooth, then add eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly. Add ricotta, lemon zest, and vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add wet ingredients and mix together thoroughly until dough is combined.
- On a greased cookie sheet or one with a baking mat, drop teaspoon-sized balls of dough (use a cookie scoop or melon ball scoop to get consistent sizes).
- Bake for approximately 15 mins, until the bottoms are golden brown, then place on a wire rack to cool.
- While cookies are cooling make your glaze. Mix confectioners sugar, milk, and lemon juice until smooth. If too thick you can add more milk. Add lemon zest from the other half of the lemon if you’d like to add more lemony flavor.
- Once the cookies are cooled, cover in glaze and let sit for 10-15 minutes until the glaze is set. If you want a festive holiday feel sprinkle with red and green sprinkles before the glaze sets.