During the summer we love to dine al fresco as often as possible. This quick and easy meal is perfect for weeknight grilling and outdoor eating.
- 1 dozen peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 small onion sliced into 4 thick rounds
- 1 package of Halloumi cheese
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil plus 2 – 3 tbsp for grilling
- 1–2 red, orange or yellow bell peppers, halved
- 1/2 cup of pickled jalapeño slices or pepperoncini (optional)
- 1 tsp of ground Harissa
- 1 tsp of ground Coriander
- 1 tsp of Salt
- Combine shrimp with 1/4 cup of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, harissa, coriander and salt. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to 450 degrees.
- Coat onion, peppers and cheese in olive oil. Grill until they are soft and grill marks appear, about 4 minutes per side. Set aside when done.
- Grill shrimp 5-8 minutes, turning halfway through. Shrimp should be a light pink color. Set aside when done.
- Brush olive oil on pitas and grill lightly, 1-2 minutes per side just for light grill marks.
- Slice grilled peppers into long strips, slice onion rounds as well or separate layers, and cut cheese into cubes.
- Assemble pita pockets with shrimp, grilled and pickled peppers, cheese and onions. Serve with greek salad or tabbouleh.